Saturday, July 7, 2012

CIGAR ECONOMICS (and a bad review).

 Now, after that, one might ask, "How then do you afford even your "cheap" cigars? The answer is that as I became poorer, I dropped one costly habit after another till I was out of "bad" habits but for one. That one being Cigars. 
 The way I see it, if I give every "bad" habit up, I might as well get myself thrown into a Federal Pen. and have done with it. 
 For those of you who smoke cigarettes think about how you do not think about it. Really. I'm serious. If you smoke a pack and a half a day at aprox. $4 per. that's $6 a day or $180 a month. But you don't think like that. You just 'need' a cig. and buy another pack.
 On the other hand, because Cigars are indeed a habit but not an addiction, I buy a months worth of Cigars all at one go, depending on what my finances can tolerate (or what I am willing to forego). 
 Sometimes I get screwed. Like last months order, where I got both Padilla Fumas and a Padilla 5-Pack, only to discover that I simply do not like the way Padilla makes Cigars. 
 Lets start with the Fumas. Yes they were cheap but even cheap cigars shouldn't be made "sandwich style" (meaning folded over like a book) so they burn down only one side (besides tasting gritty and sharp).
 Then the Padilla 5-Star Pack. The Obsidian belicoso maduro wasn't too bad (and I don't like maduros) but had a bitter finish.
 The Churchill Miami had an irregular burn a 'heavy' high nicotine taste from the middle on.
 The Toro had to be re-lit 4 times, burned irregularly, and was bitter.
 TheChurchill 1932 had a bitter finish and I had finally decided I just did not like the way Padilla blended their cigars.
 The Solomon was the only high point of the entire affair, mostly because it burned ok and gave out a lot of smoke. It was slightly reminiscent of a Cuban H.Upman. Though they aren't my favorite Cuban brand. This Padilla was actually quite good.
 Any road, I went through the month on my 100 machine made $.26 ea. cigarillos and my 50 tasteless $.70 coronas (a revue later). 
 This month though is looking up, as I have just scored one hell of a deal on some La Aurora Preferidios Perfecto #2's & a few La Aurora 1495 Robustos. These have always been far too expensive to even consider so now I'll be able to find out how much is hype or be happily surprised, with out having to go on bread and water for a week or two.       

No comments:

Post a Comment