Friday, July 6, 2012

BOLIVAR GIGANTES, HABANA

Now after my favorite "cheap" cigar I'll discuss my favorite Cuban.


  This would be the Bolivar Gigante (maybe). Maybe? Well it's like this; here I am in SF where Cuban Cigars are illegal and I run into a guy whose whole family is still in Cuba making cigars at Partagas (and sending them back to him in the States, somehow). Oh, they're real enough but sometimes my friend gets Habana "seconds" pawned off on him from the relatives now and again (who get a couple of boxes a month gratis but sometimes they just get to keep their mistakes).       Which brings me to how I wound up with a box of 25 Bolivar Gigantes  7 x 47 that were the size of Ramon Allones Gigantes 7. 5/8 x 49 !  Both are made at Partagas   ( FPG, Francisco Perez German) where most of my friend's family worked. Definitely Bolivar's but Allones' size (the Bolivar labels on the box were, for that matter, just a little small for the boxes size). 
  Any road, of all the Cubans I've ever smoked I liked this one the best! I only got one box and have pined away ever since for more. 
  A big, full, flavorful smoke that last a good hour and a half (even with me 'hot-boxing' it, as usual). My all time favorite, hands down.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh yea. I did have one other Bolivar, a Belicoso, and though it was obviously the same blend it just wasn't bloody long enough! Sigh. And the really crappy part of this is that even if I was somewhere I could buy Cuban cigars I wouldn't be able to afford them! (My friend in SF had a flat rate of $200 a box, no mater what it was. Cohiba Esplendidos or Robustos, Romeo y Julietta Churchill Tubos, Montecristo #3's, it was all the same price). Of course I was, at the time, rolling in dough.

    ReplyDelete