Monday, December 7, 2015

Here we have a Hampden Serial No.2431623 18 size 17 Jewel Adjusted, Lever Set / Stem Wind, Two-Tone, Model 3, w/ Gold Jewel Settings & Gilt Screws, Grade; "Anchor (in Shield)". Manufactured 1906/07. A Total of 2000 Made. 
The picture does not do justice to the Gold Damasking which is literally blinding when it catches the light. 
This watch has the same features as the 17 Jewel "Special Railway" but a lot fewer of these were made (most likely because it didn't sell as well due to the lack of "Railway" in it's name).  
Right now it's slow about 30 sec.'s in a 24 Hr. period but I haven't adjusted it yet so I should be able to bring it into compliance with the RR Standards of 1906/07.
  I have re-cased this movement in a 3-Hinge J.S. Boss, Keystone, Gold Filled, Engraved, "Pie-Crust", Case, from it's former Plain Back, B&B Case.  
I really prefer a 3-Hinge to a Screw Back & Bezel Case for Lever Set Watches. Lots easier to Set the Time & if you want to show off the movement's Back Plate you don't have to juggle the watch & case back. 
This is Hampden Number 34 in my Collection & certainly one of my best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment