Thursday, July 21, 2016

Referred to as "A Notable Eccentric" by Friends in San Francisco it's no wonder I'm drawn to "Odd Balls", so here's another one: A 16 Jewel "Railway".  Manufacturing Date of 1890/91. Every   book & data base I know of shows only 15 Jewel Hampden "Railways" except for Pocketwatch Data Base & the Seller {who is quite knowledgeable & has a good reputation with me} who claim this one has 16 Jewels. Well, I'll get to count them when I change the Dial to a Mint SS, Circle Dial that I have. So there!  

The Dial though, is not the usual "Canton, Railway", Double Sunk Type. Instead it's a Single Sunk, "Circle" Dial [these have been documented on "Springfield, Railways"] & the Hands are Wrong. "Railway's" came with Fluer de Lis Hands. The usual Font Style for the Double Sunk Dials was "Old English" but Formal Script has also been documented. I'll replace this Dial w/ a Mint SS, Circle Dial I have, or I can swap Dials w/ a Non-Running JC Dueber movement, which has a  Double Sunk, "Old English" Style Dial. The Seconds Hand is obviously Wrong as it's Gilt, so it'll be replaced forthwith. The Hr. & Min. Hands should also be replaced. Some "Railways" have been documented with "Crescent" & "Morning Glory" Hands {which are easier to obtain} & I might use these if I can't find "Fluer de Lis". Update; have acquired a nice set of "Crescent" Hands, so I'll try these.  
                                                                                                                                                                            
It seems I've acquired the type of Dial & Hands usually found on the "Railways" so I'll be fitting them on this Movement. The Dial is a near perfect, Double-Sunk, Roman, 'Gothic' or 'Old English' Font Style & the Hands are the 'Fleur de Lis' Style & still Brightly Blued.  I'd say that this is the Original Style of Dial & Hand fitted to this Movement when it was made [95% certainty].

No comments:

Post a Comment